Monday, February 10, 2014

Viajando y Preparando

Hola a todos!

Sorry that it’s been such a long time in between blog posts. Between travelling, getting ready for school to start, and having a lot more limited internet I haven’t been able to do as much writing as I would like to.
In the last month, I have moved, travelled back to Carazo for a week of grammatically intensive language classes, visited the north of Nicaragua, and have been told that I will be teaching an environmental chemistry class at the  local university (what?!?!).

For those of you who haven’t been in the loop about my living situation, I recently moved from a house where I was staying with a Mestizo family to an apartment complex. They family I was staying with wasn’t terrible, I just felt more like a tenant staying there than a member of the family. So I figured that I may as well live on my own since it was cheaper and I could have more control over my living situation. Elvira, one of the other volunteers living in Bluefields, helped me to find a room in the apartment complex that she was living in. I live on the second floor, so I get a shared balcony that has a wonderful breeze during the day.My neighbors have been really great and I already feel closer to some of them than I did to my family. I also have started cooking for myself and am experimenting with cooking Nicaraguan food. My last meal featured tajadas (fried plantains), which actually came out ok.

At the end of January, all the volunteers who hadn’t reached an advanced level of Spanish when they finished training (aka: me and everyone in my training town) had to return to our training towns for a week-long grammar intensive class.  It was really great to be back in my training town with two of my closest Peace Corps friends, but it was also exhausting. On top of eight hours of class with only a short break for lunch, we also had about two hours of homework every night. Plus, we had Nicaraguan friends and host families to spend time with. Needless to say, by the end of the week, I feeling exhausted but content with how helpful the classes had been. I’ve always been the kind of person who likes to know the reasoning behind things and receiving classes on Spanish grammar really helped to clarify some things that I was confused about.
Right after the  language class, Geri and I decided to aprovechar (or “take advantage”) of our time on the Pacific Coast, so together with Tom (the other volunteer that was in our training town) we decided to travel to the furthest city north in Nicaragua, Jalapa and do a half marathon that one of the health volunteers was putting on. Now just to clarify, Geri was the only one who did the half marathon. Tom did the 10-km and I helped out with the race. Since the half-marathon started at the Nicaraguan-Honduras border, we really did go as far north as we could. Since Jalapa is in a mountain valley, the course was stunningly beautiful, although poorly marked. Most of the Peace Corps volunteers participating got lost (Tom did a 17 km instead of a 10 km), but regardless, everyone seemed to have a great time.  From there, we stayed the night in Ocotal, another city in the department of Nueva Segovia that is chalk full of Sandino history (Sandino is a revolutionary that fought against the US invasion of Nicaragua). The next day, we travelled down to Madriz to do a tour of the Somoto Canyon. Pictures will be coming soon, so I won’t try and explain too much. Basically, it’s a smaller version of the Grand Canyon here in Nicaragua, but with water. The tour was really relaxed and slow paced. Most of the time we floated down the river and stopped to do a little cliff jumping. Don’t worry mom, the jumps weren’t that high!

The last place we stopped was Tom’s site in San Jose de los Remates in the department of Boaco (aka: cowboy country). It’s a really beautiful, clean city right in the heart of the mountains. We finished the visit with a hike up to a waterfall with a gorgeous view of the surrounding mountains and cups of locally grown and roasted organic coffee. It was awesome to see Tom in his element. From there, I travelled to El Rama by bus, got stuck there for two days because all the Pangas going to Bluefields were filled, and eventually arrived back home ready to get back to work.

Since then, I have been busy getting ready for school to start: meeting with my counterparts, talking to my contacts at the local university about the possibility about helping out there, and trying to contact some of the local NGO’s in Bluefields. After meeting with the Dean of the College of Natural Resources and Environmental Studies, I was informed that I had been signed up to teach the course “Environmental Chemistry,” a course which, mind you, I have never even taken. I guess I should have been more specific when I agreed to help out with the more advanced environmental studies classes in November. I then had to calmly explain to him that while I wasn’t allowed or qualified to teach this course, I would be happy to help out with making lesson plans and facilitating classes. Now I’ve learned my lesson and in the future plan to be VERY specific about what I am able and not able to do as a volunteer. It was a good learning experience to have in the first few months.


Well, that’s all for now. Sorry that this was such a long post. I hopefully won’t wait this long to write another blog post. Next post I promise pictures of my vacation! Miss you all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment