Hola a todos! Looking back on my blog posts, I realize that
I should have done this type of blog posting three times by now (I think I said
once a month which was rather ambitious of me).
My bad. The good news is that I’I've waited long enough that now I can do
a Bluefields themed "Cuando Estoy En Nicaragua". So without further ado, this is a little taste of my
life so far in Bluefields.
Well Water: There
is no official water infrastructure in the city of Bluefields.
Apparently, there have been attempts to construct one the past with the help of
foreign aid, but since the water ended up being contaminated with salt water, people stopped paying for the service. Now nearly everyone gets their water
from a well, which can only be used for washing and cleaning thanks to fertilizer runoff and tiny microbes. Drinking water has to be purchased and tends to be
pretty expensive. It’s no wonder no one here drinks water…
An Anthropologist’s
Paradise: There are six different ethnic groups living in Bluefields, each
with a distinct cultural identity and language. The largest ethnic group is, of
course, the Mestizo. These is the part
of the population that we generally think of to be “quintessentially
Nicaraguan.” The next largest group is the Creole. They are descendants of the
Caribbean Slave trade and speak Creole English. What is English Creole? The
closest thing I have to compare it to are the English dialects spoken in the
Caribbean. The words are derived
from English but many have evolved to have different meanings. The grammatical
structure also varies from traditional English. The next ethnic group is
the Garifuna, and since that group has more recently come from African , so you
tend to see that influence in a lot of aspects of the culture, especially the
dancing. The last two groups are the indigenous groups: The Miskito, Suma, and Rama. These three populations were descended from the original inhabitants of
Nicaragua.
Wait…country music?:
Thanks to my neighbors, I have now listened to more country music in the past
month than I have in the past year. Why is that? It is because Creole people
love country music. Every time I hang out in a Creole bar, country music is played. If you
don’t believe me, come visit and see for yourself.
Coconuts…are in
everything: Coconut trees are everywhere on the coast.
Therefore, they put Coconut in everything. My food is fried in coconut
oil (which, by the way is actually way healthier than using vegetable oil), the
most common type of bread made here is coconut bread, and my gallo pinto is
made with (wait for it…) coconut milk. I used to think that the only way to eat coconut was shredded. But I was wrong. So, so wrong.
For shame! First turtle meat, now coconut? What's next! ;)
ReplyDelete