Sunday, September 1, 2013

Cuando Estoy in Nicaragua: Bulls and Bucket Showers

Hello all! Since I’ve had a few rough days of culture shock/homesickness this week, I’ve decided to start a segment on my blog called “Cuando Estoy in Nicaragua.” Every month or so, I’m going to compile a list of 5-10 things that are quintessentially Nicaraguan to both introduce you to my new home and remind myself of the things I love/find endearing about this place.

1.       Animals in the street. Dogs, cats, bulls, horses, chickens. You name it, I’ve seen it walking in the street.  There are also no traffic signs so it can get pretty crazy. Every time in the street is a little bit of a fight for space. For a particular story involving bulls, see Tom’s blog (another gringo in Rosario)

2.       Bucket Showers: Usually I have running water, but there is one day a week that the water is turned off and I have to take a bucket shower. Each time I take one (which so far has only been twice), I am amazed by little water I actually need to bathe. The amount of water that I use in one bucket shower is less than the amount of water that I use in one minute in the shower.  If you’re looking to reduce your water consumption, that’s definitely one way to do it.

3.       Nicaraguan time. Those of you who know me well will probably call me guilty of this phenomenon. The joke among PC is that Nicaraguans will always show up at least thirty minutes late for any event. They are also not prone to making plans in advance.  As Americans, it can be difficult to understand this phenomenon since we place such a heavy emphasis on time as something finite that can and should be used as productively as possible.  This is not the case for Nicaraguans. To sum up nicely how Nicaraguans perceive of time, I’ve included a popular Nicaraguan dicho (or saying) “Hay mas tiempo que vida.” Translated to English, it reads: There is more time than life.

4.       The Gringo phenomenon: I’ve used this word several times in my blog so by now you must be wondering what it means. Basically this word can be used to describe any white American. Of course the word itself encompasses more than just the simple definition and assumes all kinds of behavior patterns and beliefs, but that’s something to cover in a different blog post.

5.       Street Vendors: Everyone is selling something. Everyone. At least 50% of the houses that I pass on my way to Spanish class have signs advertising something for sale (usually its food). In addition, it is not uncommon to get 4-5 local solicitors per day who are selling some kind of food. Don’t worry, I haven’t given in to temptation yet. The Peace Corps medical officers did a good job of scaring me away from street food.


Well, that’s all for now. Tune in next time to listen to me freak out about having to teach my first class COMPLETELY IN SPANISH, which will happen next Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment